Monday, April 19, 2010

random rants

Rant ho:

Oh, just legalize pot already. C'mon. You know it's not going to be any worse than alcohol and cigarettes. Legalize it, set a minimum age on it, slap a sin tax on it, and worry about the drugs that are actually far more likely to cause problems, okay? Please understand, I do not say this as a pot smoker. I have no interest in smoking it, legal or not. I say this as someone who just wants the whole argument to go the frak away and who thinks that government resources (that's time and money) are being wasted on something that is, in the grand scheme of things, rather trivial. (And don't give me any horror stories on how you know someone who smoked one joint once and turned to a life of prostitution and crime so they could get addicted to another drug instead, because I will counter with a huge list of alcohol horror stories if you do that. I grew up in a family with multiple alcoholics, I've got a big list of horror stories, okay?)

I really, really will be tempted to punch the next person who counters a same-sex marriage argument with "Homosexuals have the same right to marry someone of the opposite gender as heterosexuals do." like that isn't one of the most ridiculous logical fallacies of all time. Yes, that's right. A gay guy can marry any woman he likes. But he doesn't like. Heterosexuals get to marry the gender they are attracted to. Homosexuals do not. It is not the same thing at all. Morons.

Also, if you are against "big government" and deficit spending, I suggest you take a long and hard look at the actual deficits under Republican presidents and the actual voting and law-introducing history of Republican congresscritters before you start equating it with Democrats only. Just let's remember who started two wars while the country was already in the red, okay? Putting the Republicans in charge doesn't change how bloated the government is; it merely slightly changes the ways in which it is bloated.

Speaking of bloated government, I am still ticked off I can not buy a pack of clove cigarettes any more because instead of enforcing the existing freaking laws on not selling cigarettes to minors, they decided to ban the flavored products altogether (excepting menthol, because the local industry is fine, it's just all them furrun smokes that entice kids to smoke, amirite?), like that was going to change anything. Bitch, please; I know people who started with unfiltered Camels cuz that's what their old man smoked. I mean, yeah, fine, I think it's great to try to keep kids from starting a dangerous, expensive habit, but this measure is like banning liquers because kids are more likely to like the taste of them than of whisky.

No comments:

Post a Comment