Friday, February 5, 2010

Jon Stewart Batters Blogs

So, as is my custom after Project Runway, I watched The Daily Show tonight. (I usually don't remember to turn it on the other days of the week; thankfully, the site has all the video available.) During the show, Jon Stewart did a segment on the headings of blog posts when discussing... oh, let's call them critiques of certain people. Mainly people blogging about his own critiques, though he went over a few related ones. These headings were noteable for using violent words (e.g., eviscerate, maul, hammer), and he was poking fun at this tendency.

Now, I'm not saying it wasn't funny, because, well, it was. However, I did think it was strange he was concentrating on blog headings specifically, because the practice is one that newspapers have engaged in for years in their headlines. I suppose it could be more noticeable with blogs, because whereas people who read the paper are unlikely to read more than a couple a day, blog readers frequently follow several dozen blogs. I imagine it's also more likely in political blogs as those frequently are covering disputes or discussions between people with widely divergent opinions.

But, eh, I don't know... I guess it just seemed weird that a guy whose job is basically dissecting news wouldn't at least mention that the blogs were following in newspapers' footsteps with such headlines. And when I say "weird", I mean "for some reason I've been thinking about it since the show aired 5 hours ago". Or possibly, when I say "weird", I mean "my brain".

No comments:

Post a Comment